The most anticipated event in the UK in many years is due to take place tonight. The official start to the London 2012 Olympics and the Opening Ceremony.
Produced by Oscar-winner Danny Boyle, and with dress rehearsal (Monday) and full rehearsal (Wednesday) under its belt, it promises to be spectacular. Attendees to the rehearsals were urged to save the surprise (despite the press embargo on Monday and Wednesday, it trended on Twitter), but here is what we think could be in the ceremony.
- No words can express.... – TV commentary is going to be minimal if any at all. Boyle has insisted that it doesn’t need words and the soundtrack will tell the story itself – sorry Huw Edwards
- Green and pleasant land – The countryside is going to be honoured in the ceremony, apparently with real animals. Let’s hope cows don’t block the flag parade!
- Industrial revolution – This key period in Britain’s history will be marked, but how? Perhaps by spinning 800m hopeful Jenny Meadows? We are expecting a mention of Manchester in this section!
- Fight for your right... – Apparently the right to protest will be mentioned as a turning point in British history. Presumably there will be enough security guards present in case this gets out of hand?
- Nod to the nurses – nurses will also get a mention, so if you are going to need treatment for an injury in East London on Friday night, you could be in for wait
- Big night out – finally, the British institution that is the (in)famous Saturday night out is going to honoured. Hopefully not mentioned in the style of a Channel 4 documentary!
While we will look at the opening ceremony with tongues firmly in cheeks, the Opening Ceremony will set the mood for the London Olympics. It is a key step in the engagement of the nation in the Games, and if it is as spectacular as we all hope, it will generate a lot of excitement – events like this can be powerful and it is an opportunity not to be missed by the organisers. Tune in at 20:12 tonight (obviously!) to catch the action.
To find out how you can deliver engagement to your audience, contact us today. We don’t promise Danny Boyle, but we do promise gold medal event management expertise!